Spellbinders Holiday Blog Hop


Welcome to the Spellbinders Partner Holiday Blog Hop!  Today I am sharing a very non-traditional Christmas card using two separate Spellbinders dies! 



These are the two dies: It's a Hoot and Conversation Bubbles 2


Here's the non-traditional card that I came up with.  I used only a portion of the very versatile "It's a Hoot" die to put the final spin on this card.  



For the base of the card, I just wanted to add a hint of color.  I used Izink Ink (acrylic pigment ink) in "Topaz" mixed with water to use as watercolor.  


Using a paintbrush, I begin to layer on the color in an airy, circular motion; the ink is permanent when dry, therefore, I'm able to continue to add ink until I'm happy with the color.  


With the background finished, I'm now able to begin layering on the die-cuts. 


I snipped a couple of the cute owls from the "It's a Hoot" die to use on this card.  I covered the die-cuts with Top Boss Embossing Ink and "Sterling Silver" Embossing Powder from ColorBox.  With a few silver star sequins and a stamped sentiment using ColorBox Archival Dye Ink, this card is complete!  Thanks for stopping by today!  

Remember to leave a comment along each stop of the hop.  Follow THIS link for entry to our fab prize giveaway!   

81 comments

Anita Braddock said...

Beautiful card love the layering thanks for sharing

Maryann Laursen said...

Beautiful card, especially as I just love owls, so this is sooo me, and also awesome colors on it too.

Karenladd said...

Oh my gosh, that owl die is so fun and your card is just adorable!

Heather said...

very neat idea with adding water for the ink, makes a great background. love the card.

Unknown said...

Oh, I love that cute owls, they are fabulous!

craftymom205 said...

Love the card.

craftymom205 at yahoo dot com

Diane said...

So very creative and adorable...love the background...a great design!!

Unknown said...

Super sweet! TFS!!!

Miriam Prantner said...

Love the watercolored background and those sparkly owls!

Unknown said...

Your card is adorable. Love how you used the little owls.

Granny G said...

What a cute twist on a holiday card. Love it. Thanks.

D.Ann C said...

Thanks for the inspiration and tutorial!

Shari Czerwinski said...

What a HOOT! Super cute :)

Unknown said...

I love owls! Fab card!

Unknown said...

Love those dashes on the word bubbles and those owls are priceless!

Jennifer Scull said...

how precious to use the owls for your holiday card! so sweet! :)

Jamie said...

Oh so cute! I love that blue in! So pretty!

Anonymous said...

I love to use owls. I hadn't seen this die before but I'll be getting it. The card is darling.
thanks for sharing a cute card.

purplemel said...

love owls and z inks are one of my new favs

Carisa said...

omgosh, how fab!!! I love the thought bubble die and your background!

criscolores said...

Thanks for share, just waiting for wednesday!

Jeniff said...

Beautiful card, I love it!

barbara macaskill said...

Absolutely adorable!! TFS!

Cathy - CMP Designs said...

Love the watercolory background!

SuzieJ said...

Love the owls. Very clever idea

Linsey R said...

Golden owls, eep!!!! This card is fabulous!!! I love seeing something this creative and unique in a holiday card!! What a fresh and fun approach, thanks for the delightful inspiration!!

Denise Bryant said...

Awesome dies! Love your sweet card!

Unknown said...

Non-traditional but precious!

Yolanda said...

TOO CUTE!!!! I love the sweet owls.

Jean Bullock said...

This is sooo cute. How creative and clever to use the die like that. Well done.

Tami B. said...

The background is so pretty and what a good idea to cut out the 2 owls.

Eileen L. said...

Love your background color and I love those cute little owls.

Teresa Godines #6857 said...

Very pretty card. TFS

Unknown said...

WOW!!! This card is pretty awesome!!!

Amy C. said...

This card is so pretty! Love those glittery owls!

Jaqueline Fuentes said...

Beautiful card! the colors are delicate and the dies are perfect!!

Heather said...

How fun! Such a great idea to use a non-holiday product to create a really super cute Christmas card.

Sue's Paper Crafts said...

Stunning card, very creative. The owls are darling.

Sue
http://suek86401.blogspot.com/

Memories by Manda said...

Such a sweet card. love the dashes on the speech bubbles!
Facebook Surname: Birchler

Viki Banaszak said...

So cute! I am still going threw my owl phase so it's perfect.

JPScraps said...

Super cute card!

Brenda said...

Super Cute Owl Card! I Just Love The Colors You Used & Especially The Layering Of The Conversation Bubbles!!

Rebecca Ednie said...

I totally love the colour of the glitter ink/paint you used!

Anonymous said...

Unique and glittery!

Kristina B. said...

Gorgeous Card, Owls are my favorite!

SHartl said...

I just love owls of all kinds so of course this card is a favorite! Love the glitter too!

Rett said...

Simply adorable! Love those little owls. I haven't been naughty....I've been nice...and so have you...for sharing your ideas with all of us. Thank you!

Robin B. said...

What a pretty card! I love the background and those Owls.

Suzi said...

You had great products to play with and you certainly did them justice! TFS!

Kim A. said...

This is so cute. I just love the "blue moon" behind the owls...adorable!!

Sandi Marson said...

Beautiful! Thanks for inspiring and sharing!

Pam said...

This is super cute! Love those owls & the conversation dies.

Unknown said...

Love this Suzanne and how you put a fun holiday spin on these products!

christi said...

cool shading. love the owls.

FibreJunky said...

Super cute card! I'm a big owl fan, so I just love what you did with them.

arlsmom aka Lynda said...

What great owls on your card!

Unknown said...

I'm crazy about owls. Love this card.

Rufus said...

love owls, so it's a given that I think your card is a hoot!
R/

Sue D said...

Very cute and clever!

cghundley said...

I love owls and
this is a cute
card!
Carla from Utah

Liz O. said...

Such a pretty card! Love the super cute owl! TFS!
Have a wonderful dayM

Amy Martin said...

Beautiful card. I love how you did the owls.

SusieQ62N said...

Love the stitched look on the dies!!

Katie said...

Great card! I love your inky backgound element. And those sparkly owls, how cute! Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

loulou said...

Fabulous design for a Christmas card. Great fun - A real hoot even!!!

Marge said...

Totally LOVE this card, as we have a Burrowing Owl that winters under a bush just outside my craft room window. He comes back every year and we enjoy watching & photographing him, as do our friends/relatives!

AprilsL8 said...

Cute card! Great use of the owl die!

The Art of Being Kelcified said...

I too enjoy doing non-traditional cards and colors! This is just too cute. I have never used just a portion of a die cut but I will now. Thanks!

linda said...

Such a clever and cute project, love it!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Sweet! Love the layered speech bubbles.

Waving My Wand said...

I haven't tried the Izink yet but I love the Colorbox archival inks. What a fabulous card! Love the stitched bubbles.....

Bon said...

That is such a Hoot of a card

Iris said...

Love the owls.
isoscia at aol dot com

Linnea S said...

LUV the color and the fun card! I can see those convo bubble dies could get used A LOT!!!

jordanbev5@yahoo.com said...

What a terrific idea and card! I love the non-traditional and that you used just a few owls! So clever of you!

Becky Sorensen said...

Really neat card.

cmoch said...

How cute, it put a smile on my face. Nice card!

Rubeena I. said...

oh how adorable!!!

Carol H. said...

Love love the It's a Hoot die! Your card is beautiful!

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

I love the owls.

BethW said...

Your card is adorable! Love the colors and of course the owls. I am definitely getting that die! Thank you so much for such enjoyable inspiration.