Scratching the Curiosity Itch

So, have you ever been intrigued by a technique or a process?  Ever just wanted to try it?  Well, I have those tendencies often!  I've always been intrigued by the process of encaustic paintings or the use of beeswax in finished works.  I enjoy watching videos of the process, but ...that just wasn't enough...darn youtube!  So, I said forget this sideline stuff...I'm going to grab some beeswax and have a little play myself!

Now, I know the encaustic gods are cringing, encaustic artists all over are gasping because I'm sure I did EVERYTHING wrong, BUT I don't care!! I had a blast playing with this stuff.  I tested all kinds of inks to see how they would react to the wax.  I also used some watercolor and oil paint sticks that I've had for a while that have been sitting idle.  I threw a little bit of everything on this small piece of watercolor paper...almost grabbed the kitchen sink just to see what would happen if I fused it to the paper!  

I could've easily kept going, but this is where I stopped...here ...uneven, bumpy, waxy goodness!  All in all, I will definitely try this again (with a few more supplies on-hand) and try my best to not become addicted...some of the pre-made wax cakes and sticks are pricey!  Mama has to buy milk!  ;).  Thanks for stopping by!  




No comments