Smiles

Another layout for Donna Salazar Designs.  


Hey everyone!  Suzanne here. I'd like to share a layout with you today that I had an absolute blast creating using an array of DSD products.  It was so fun to create this particular project because it emcompasses the idea that you don't have to create "perfectly" to make things "look good!"  This layout was created using Mix'd Media Inx, Smooch Spritz, and the yummy Artistic Papers (I LOVE this paper) from GCD Studios; other papers included are from the "Spring in Bloom" collection by GCD Studios and Zutter's Corrugated Board.  
Here are some close-ups of the layout and a few quick insights on how i created it:

I began by applying gesso onto a piece of Artistic Paper and drying it with a heat gun.  I sprayed water pretty liberally-followed by applying a color wash and several colors of Smooch Spritz (Mixed Berry, River Mossy, Carrot Cake and Caramel Latte). It's not the prettiest effect, but I simply wanted random color splotches.  After rolling a paper towel roll over the top to lift off some of the color, I dried it with a heat gun. 
I very randomly cut out circles from the inked paper-not worried about perfect circles or size.  I then used a circle punch to punch out circles from dictionary pages to place on top of the inked circles.  Using a permanent pen, I randomly drew circles onto the dictionary page circles.  Once everything was adhered, I stitched over the cirlces with no rhyme or reason other than to create a random pattern (do you see a theme here? ;)). 
The bird was pretty fun to create. I used the new Designer Embellies Chipboard Puzzle, DSD Glamourous Grunge stamp, and Sugar Shimmer Fairy Dust to achieve the look on this lil guy.  
  I got a little happy with the Fabritac glue in the beginning stages so he looks a little funky :D.  I put the puzzle pieces in place and glued them down onto a piece of scrap paper (after i applied gesso and let dry).  Using a stencil, I traced the bird over the top of the glued pieces with a permanent pen and cut it out; I stamped it with the Glamorous Grunge Stamp using Truffle Mix'd Media Inx, embossed with UTEE, and covered with Glue Gloss and Sugar Shimmer Fairy Dust.  The puzzle pieces were somewhat lost in the process so I took an artist's marker and retraced the lines of the pieces as well as the edges of the bird. 

I used Jasmine, Peridot, and Honey Mixed Media Inx with a fan brush to distress the paper from the Spring in Bloom Collection (along with the Distrezz-it-all to distress the edges). I also inked a piece of Corrugated Board from Zutter with Truffle Mix'd Media Inx and used it to continue matting the photo. I sprayed a coffee filter with Mixed Berries Smooch Spritz, crumpled it up and let dry, then applied Mixed Berries Fairy Dust using Glue Gloss. 
 The leaves and branches came from the same stencil as the bird.  Again, I traced out the branches and leaves onto Artistic Paper, colored them with an artist's marker, and cut them out not being really careful (keeping up with my random theme ;))
  I used Truffle Mix'd Media Inx to dye masking tape..rubbing it in with my fingers to blend it. Peeking out is a Want2Scrap Sprightly Sprocket with coordinating Nestabling. 

I truly had fun creating this layout and hope you enjoyed seeing how I created this "imperfect" project by simply throwing caution to the wind!  Keep creating y'all!

My Blog

Supplies Used: Want2Scrap: Nestaboard-Sprightly Sprockets, Nestabling-Sprightly Sprockets, Designer Embellies by Donna Salazar-Chipboard PuzzleClearsnap: Mix'd Media Inx-Honey, Peridot, Truffle, and Jasmine, Smooch Spritz-River Mossy, Caramel Latte, Mixed Berries, Carrot Cake.  Fairy Dust-Sugar Shimmer, Mixed Berries.  GCD Studios: Spring in Bloom collection, Artistic papersZutter:  Corrugated boardArt Gone Wild: Glamorous Grunge Stamp.  Maya Road mini chipboard letters, kraft cardstock, gesso, Faber-Castell Big Brush pens, Pilot Permaball, circle punch





No comments